By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
NewsunplugNewsunplugNewsunplug
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • My Story
Reading: Deadly Ebola outbreak spreads to militant controlled region in DR Congo
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
Font ResizerAa
NewsunplugNewsunplug
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • My Story
Search
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • My Story
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
Newsunplug > Blog > News > Deadly Ebola outbreak spreads to militant controlled region in DR Congo
News

Deadly Ebola outbreak spreads to militant controlled region in DR Congo

Godson
Last updated: May 22, 2026 8:08 am
Godson
Published: May 22, 2026
Share
SHARE

An Ebola outbreak in the has reportedly spread into parts of South Kivu province controlled by the Rwanda-backed militia, raising fresh fears over the growing spread of the deadly disease across eastern Congo.

The latest outbreak of the highly contagious haemorrhagic fever has already been declared an international health emergency by the and is believed to have killed more than 130 people so far. According to an M23 spokesperson, tests “confirm a new positive case” linked to Bukavu in South Kivu province, an area seized by the armed group in February 2025.

“The person concerned, a compatriot aged 28, unfortunately succumbed to the disease before the diagnosis was confirmed,” the spokesman said, adding that “the burial was carried out in strict compliance with safety standards.”

The spokesman stated that the victim had travelled from Kisangani in Tshopo province, where no Ebola cases linked to the current outbreak had previously been recorded. The outbreak response has reportedly been complicated by ongoing conflict in eastern Congo, where fighting between Congolese forces and M23 rebels has divided major parts of North and South Kivu provinces.

Health officials say the outbreak is being driven by the rare Bundibugyo strain of Ebola, for which no approved vaccine or clinical treatment currently exists. According to the WHO, the Democratic Republic of Congo is now facing its 17th Ebola outbreak, with nearly 600 suspected cases already recorded.

Many infections have been concentrated in remote parts of Ituri province, while additional cases have also been confirmed in North Kivu and neighbouring, where one death has been reported. The crisis has also affected other sectors, with the Congolese national football team cancelling a planned World Cup training camp in Kinshasa due to fears surrounding the outbreak.

Meanwhile, the has introduced stricter airport screening measures for passengers arriving from Congo, Uganda and, while has imposed a temporary ban on visitors from the affected countries. The WHO said the regional risk from the outbreak remains high, although it currently considers the risk of a global pandemic to be low.

FG Approves 50,000 Extra Slots For 2026 NYSC Programme As Graduate Backlog Grows
“Wait patiently and allow our legal system to run its course” Buhari tells those aggrieved by the result of the general elections
NRC announces resumption of Warri–Itakpe train service
Presidential poll not a reflection of people’s will, Kwankwaso reveals
10 countries with largest armies

Quick Link

  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0

Recent Posts

  • “What Is Wrong With Working As A Waiter?” -phyna Fires Back At Critics
  • “Traders WHO Fail To Open On Mondays Will Pay ₦20m”- Soludo Issues Warning
  • “Without Lil Wayne, Me And Nicki Minaj Wouldn’t Be Here Today”- Drake
  • 3 generations of women from one family charged with abuse and torture de@th of 7-year-old girl
  • Alex Ekubo: Names Of Nigerian Actors, Singers That Died From Cancer

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

Categories

  • ES Money
  • U.K News
  • The Escapist
  • Insider
  • Science
  • Technology
  • LifeStyle
  • Marketing

About US

We influence 20 million users and is the number one business and technology news network on the planet.
Quick Link
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index
Top Categories
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index

Subscribe US

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[mc4wp_form]

Top Categories

  • Entertainment

Categories

  • ES Money
  • U.K News
  • The Escapist
  • Insider
  • Science
  • Technology
  • LifeStyle
  • Marketing

About US

We influence 20 million users and is the number one business and technology news network on the planet.
Quick Link
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index
Top Categories
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index

Subscribe US

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[mc4wp_form]
© 2023 Newsunplug | All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?