The Kaduna State Police Command has ordered a full-scale investigation into officers captured in a viral video allegedly extorting money from motorists and cyclists during a stop-and-search operation.
The spokesman for the command, DSP Mansir Hassan, who disclosed this in a statement on Tuesday, August 18, 2026 said the Commissioner of Police, CP Rabiu Muhammad, ordered that the officers involved in the incident be identified and invited for investigation.
Hassan said any officer found culpable would be appropriately sanctioned.
According to the PPRO, routine roadblocks and stop-and-search operations had been curtailed, except in situations where credible intelligence indicated the movement of criminals, arms or other prohibited items.
The command, however, said the location shown in the viral video had previously been used by criminal elements, noting that it was a suburb of Millennium City.
According to the police, operatives had previously recovered 20 AK-47 rifles along the same route.
Notwithstanding these security concerns, the CP has made it clear that no police officer is permitted to use legitimate security duties as an avenue for extortion, harassment, or any form of misconduct.
The command added that officers found guilty of such acts would face severe disciplinary and legal action.
“The attention of the Kaduna State Police Command has been drawn to a viral video circulating on social media showing some Police officers conducting stop-and-search operations, and extorting money from motorists and cyclists,” the statement read.
“The Commissioner of Police, CP Rabiu Muhammad, psc, mni, has ordered that the officers involved be immediately be identified, and invited for full scale investigations and those found culpable will sanctioned appropriately.
“The Command wishes to clarify that routine roadblocks and stop-and-search operations has been curtailed, except where there is credible intelligence on the movement of criminals, arms, or other prohibited items.
“The Command, however, notes that the route in the video has previously been used by criminal elements, it’s a suburb of millennium city. It was along the same route that Police operatives previously recovered 20 AK-47 rifles.
“Notwithstanding these security concerns, the CP has made it clear that no Police officer is permitted to use legitimate security duties as an avenue for extortion, harassment, or any form of misconduct. Any officer found culpable will face severe disciplinary and legal action.
“The Commissioner of Police commended members of the public for their vigilance and urged them to continue reporting unprofessional conduct by Police officers. Complaints can be made to the Police Complaint Response Unit (CRU) on 09049498983, 08075391105, 07039675856
“The Command remains committed to professional policing, accountability, and the protection of the rights and safety of all residents of Kaduna State.”
View this post on Instagram
