By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
NewsunplugNewsunplugNewsunplug
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • My Story
Reading: Zambia ex-minister k!lled in security raid on main opposition leader
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
Font ResizerAa
NewsunplugNewsunplug
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • My Story
Search
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • My Story
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
Newsunplug > Blog > News > Zambia ex-minister k!lled in security raid on main opposition leader
News

Zambia ex-minister k!lled in security raid on main opposition leader

Godson
Last updated: August 21, 2026 12:02 pm
Godson
Published: August 21, 2026
Share
SHARE

A former cabinet minister was shot and k!lled in a security force raid on the home of the main opposition leader after last week’s presidential elections.

A police spokesman said Mutotwe Kafwaya was fatally wounded by law enforcement officers during what officials have described as an exchange of fire in a security operation in the capital, Lusaka, on Friday.

According to the BBC, eleven people were arrested in the raid, with the authorities accusing Mundubile’s party, the NRPUP, of being “involved in insurgency” and “militia activity” and storing “high-grade” weapons.

Mundubile, who has since gone into hiding, rejected the allegations as “total fabrications”.

According to official results, incumbent President Hakainde Hichilema won a second five-year term with a 60% share of the vote. Mundubile, who trailed behind with 38%, plans to challenge the outcome in court after alleging the tallying process had been tampered with.

Speaking about Kafwaya on Tuesday, the opposition leader said he had had no information about his whereabouts after he had been shot during the raid, which he said took place at his house.

The police confirmed Kafwaya’s de@th late on Wednesday amid growing demands for information about him.

They said the 49-year-old was k!lled in a sho0tout during the raid by a joint security task force, adding that they encountered “gunfire and resistance from unknown individuals, resulting in [them] returning fire”.

“In the process, one unidentified male person was fatally wounded, and the firearm was recovered,” the police said, adding that family members had subsequently identified him.

Kafwaya first became a lawmaker in 2016 and was appointed by then-President Edgar Lungu as the Minister for Works in 2018 and moved to the transport ministry the following year. He served there until 2021, when Lungu lost to Hichilema in the presidential election of that year.

He continued serving as an opposition member of parliament.

Regional and international observers described the election day as largely peaceful, but raised concerns about late electoral reforms, media freedom and access to the media in the run-up to the poll.

The EU election observation mission warned at the weekend that restrictions on the opposition in the campaigning period may have contributed to an “uneven contest”.

In its report on Wednesday, the observers said the results tabulation process “deteriorated significantly” once counting had resumed after a six-hour pause. The electoral commission halted the count citing violence against its staff and alleging ballot-box theft.

The EU mission said staff in many centres did not record results on tally sheets as soon as they were announced, and cited weak verification between digital entries and paper records. It added that returning officers frequently paused proceedings while awaiting instructions from headquarters.

NNPC Foundation Promotes Financial Education Among Corpers
King Charles’ funeral plans unveiled as it emerges his cancer is worse and the monarch has been given “2 years to live”
“He was working as a spy” – Putin talks about imprisoned US reporter Evan Gershkovich as he suggests swap deal for Russian assassin
Reps support Buhari’s order on 10 national parks
BBC newsreader, George Alagiah dies at 67 after a nine year battle with bowel cancer

Quick Link

  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0

Recent Posts

  • EPL: He Doesn’t Score Goals, Create Chances – Paul Merson On Man Utd’s Signing
  • Laliga: Mourinho Names Five Players To Play Rodri’s Role At Real Madrid
  • NLO: Blankson Set To Take Charge At Calabar Rovers
  • 2026 Ballon D’or: ‘best Player From Best Club’ – Kroos Names Player To Win Award
  • “He never treated her nicely. He b£at her because I slept at her house” — Phyna speaks on Sheggz and Bella’s breakup

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

Categories

  • ES Money
  • U.K News
  • The Escapist
  • Insider
  • Science
  • Technology
  • LifeStyle
  • Marketing

About US

We influence 20 million users and is the number one business and technology news network on the planet.
Quick Link
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index
Top Categories
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index

Subscribe US

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[mc4wp_form]

Top Categories

  • Entertainment

Categories

  • ES Money
  • U.K News
  • The Escapist
  • Insider
  • Science
  • Technology
  • LifeStyle
  • Marketing

About US

We influence 20 million users and is the number one business and technology news network on the planet.
Quick Link
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index
Top Categories
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index

Subscribe US

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[mc4wp_form]
© 2023 Newsunplug | All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?