By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
NewsunplugNewsunplugNewsunplug
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • My Story
Reading: FBI explains why Tinubu’s record can’t be released
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
Font ResizerAa
NewsunplugNewsunplug
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • My Story
Search
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • My Story
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
Newsunplug > Blog > My Story > FBI explains why Tinubu’s record can’t be released
My Story

FBI explains why Tinubu’s record can’t be released

Godson
Last updated: August 22, 2026 12:24 am
Godson
Published: August 22, 2026
Share
SHARE

The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) has asked a US court to allow it to keep some records concerning an old investigation linked to President Bola Tinubu from public disclosure, citing the need to protect law-enforcement methods and the safety of individuals.

The request was contained in a motion filed at the US District Court for the District of Columbia, where the FBI asked to privately provide the judge with additional details supporting its decision to withhold parts of the records.

The agency wants to submit the explanation ex parte and in camera, meaning the material would be presented directly to the judge without being made available as part of the public court record. The FBI argued that a public explanation would itself risk revealing information that it is seeking to protect.

It said some of the withheld material could disclose investigative procedures and techniques used by law-enforcement authorities, while other information could expose people to threats to their physical safety.

The filing was publicised on X by Von Batten-Montague-York, a Washington-based lobbying firm recently retained by African Democratic Congress (ADC) presidential candidate Atiku Abubakar.

The dispute stems from two Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests submitted for FBI records connected to Tinubu. One request sought the bureau’s complete file on the Nigerian president, while another sought interview reports known as Form 302s relating to an FBI case from 1992 and 1993.

The FBI said it had applied several exemptions under FOIA law to portions of the material, including provisions designed to protect personal privacy, confidential sources, law-enforcement techniques, and information that could threaten an individual’s safety.

The agency told the court that its public filings could not adequately set out the full justification for relying on Exemptions 7(E) and 7(F). It therefore wants to supplement its public submission with a sealed declaration that would allow the judge to examine the sensitive reasoning directly.

If the court approves the request, the FBI said it intends to submit the confidential declaration. The case was brought by Aaron Greenspan, the founder of PlainSite, who has sought government documents relating to a Chicago-based heroin trafficking investigation dating back to the early 1990s.

Greenspan submitted 12 FOIA requests to six federal agencies between 2022 and 2023, seeking records involving four people, including Tinubu, Lee Andrew Edwards, Mueez Abegboyega Akande, and Abiodun Agbele.

Several agencies initially refused to confirm whether responsive records existed, a position commonly described in US law as a Glomar response. Greenspan challenged the decisions and later sued after the Justice Department’s Office of Information Policy upheld the agencies’ positions.

Judge Beryl Howell previously ruled against the FBI and Drug Enforcement Administration’s continued use of the Glomar response, finding that the agencies had not demonstrated a sufficient legal basis for concealing whether records concerning Tinubu existed.

The latest FBI application comes amid an ongoing dispute over the release of the records. The Justice Department had sought an extension to respond to a court order, but Judge Howell granted only a partial extension.

Tinubu’s legal team subsequently joined the request for additional time. The FBI is now seeking to give the court, behind closed doors, its fuller justification for retaining portions of the records, particularly information it says could expose sensitive investigative practices or endanger individuals.

Why Adekunle Gold and Fire Boy DML Are More Successful Under Olamide’s YBNL [Opinion]
Kayode Fayemi: The Underground Ninja
Yemi Alade: How Consistency And Hard Work Paid Off For Nigerian Singer
Corruption Fighting Corruption [Opinion]
The Battle Between Akeredolu And His Deputy Agboola

Quick Link

  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0

Recent Posts

  • Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie’s biological daughter Vivienne publishes newspaper ad to announce she has dropped Pitt from her last name
  • Ariana Grande warns President Donald Trump to stay away from her songs following anti-trans post
  • US court grants FBI request to review Tinubu files in private
  • Woman pleads guilty to k!lling newborn son found stuffed in trash bag
  • My ex-husband punched me repeatedly one month and two weeks after childbirth – Nigerian woman details her alleged ordeal in marriage

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

Categories

  • ES Money
  • U.K News
  • The Escapist
  • Insider
  • Science
  • Technology
  • LifeStyle
  • Marketing

About US

We influence 20 million users and is the number one business and technology news network on the planet.
Quick Link
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index
Top Categories
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index

Subscribe US

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[mc4wp_form]

Top Categories

  • Entertainment

Categories

  • ES Money
  • U.K News
  • The Escapist
  • Insider
  • Science
  • Technology
  • LifeStyle
  • Marketing

About US

We influence 20 million users and is the number one business and technology news network on the planet.
Quick Link
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index
Top Categories
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index

Subscribe US

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[mc4wp_form]
© 2023 Newsunplug | All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?