By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
NewsunplugNewsunplugNewsunplug
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • My Story
Reading: Defence Headquarters begins trial of 36 officers over alleged coup plot
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
Font ResizerAa
NewsunplugNewsunplug
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • My Story
Search
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • My Story
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
Newsunplug > Blog > News > Defence Headquarters begins trial of 36 officers over alleged coup plot
News

Defence Headquarters begins trial of 36 officers over alleged coup plot

Godson
Last updated: April 25, 2026 12:43 am
Godson
Published: April 25, 2026
Share
SHARE

The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) today, April 24, commenced the trial of 36 military officers accused of plotting to overthrow the administration of President Bola Tinubu.

The 36 defendants arrived at the Scorpion Mess, Asokoro, Abuja at about 8:54am in an Army Headquarters Garrison bus, followed by a Defence Intelligence Agency (DIA) detention operations vehicle.

Proceedings were conducted under tight security with the use of mobile phones barred within the venue.

The DHQ had, in October 2025, stated that military officers involved in the alleged coup plot would be formally arraigned before a military court-martial following the conclusion of investigations.

The military high command in October 2025 confirmed the arrest of some officers over acts of indiscipline and breaches of service regulations. This followed reports of a botched coup attempt and the subsequent cancellation of Nigeria’s Independence Day celebration.

The Director of Defence Information, Major General Samaila Uba, had on Monday said investigations into the matter had been concluded and the report forwarded to the appropriate superior authority in line with extant regulations.

He stated that the comprehensive investigation process, conducted in accordance with established military procedures, carefully examined all circumstances surrounding the conduct of the affected personnel.

According to him, the findings identified a number of officers with allegations of plotting to overthrow the government, which is inconsistent with the ethics, values, and professional standards required of members of the Armed Forces.

“Accordingly, those with cases to answer will be formally arraigned before an appropriate military judicial panel to face trial in accordance with the Armed Forces Act and other applicable service regulations. This ensures accountability while upholding the principles of fairness and due process,” Uba said

He explained that the measures being taken are purely disciplinary and part of ongoing institutional mechanisms to preserve order, discipline, and operational effectiveness within the ranks.

The defence spokesperson reassured that the Armed Forces remain resolute in maintaining the highest standards of professionalism, loyalty, and respect for constitutional authority.

 

Canada not for sale – New Canadian PM Carney warns Trump during White House meeting
Tinubu wins Surulere Local Govt Area in Lagos
Risk of contracting Coronavirus is now higher than before – PTF coordinator, Sani Aliyu
Gov Polls: INEC Approves PVC Collection For Four Weeks
The oppression of young voices is a dangerous path that we must not normalize – Peter Obi condemns arrest of VDM

Quick Link

  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0

Recent Posts

  • Oyo teachers stage protest over abduction and k!lling of colleagues
  • 11-year-old girl gives birth in South Africa after being r@ped and impregnated by her mother’s boyfriend
  • Actor Russell Andrews reveals devastating ALS diagnosis at 64
  • Russian drone hit Chinese cargo ship overnight in Black Sea
  • Moment security guard ass@ulted a lawyer at the Federal High Court Abuja (video)

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

Categories

  • ES Money
  • U.K News
  • The Escapist
  • Insider
  • Science
  • Technology
  • LifeStyle
  • Marketing

About US

We influence 20 million users and is the number one business and technology news network on the planet.
Quick Link
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index
Top Categories
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index

Subscribe US

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[mc4wp_form]

Top Categories

  • Entertainment

Categories

  • ES Money
  • U.K News
  • The Escapist
  • Insider
  • Science
  • Technology
  • LifeStyle
  • Marketing

About US

We influence 20 million users and is the number one business and technology news network on the planet.
Quick Link
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index
Top Categories
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index

Subscribe US

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[mc4wp_form]
© 2023 Newsunplug | All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?