By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
NewsunplugNewsunplugNewsunplug
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • My Story
Reading: FG rearraigns Sowore over posts calling Tinubu criminal, drops charges against Facebook, X
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
Font ResizerAa
NewsunplugNewsunplug
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • My Story
Search
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • My Story
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
Newsunplug > Blog > News > FG rearraigns Sowore over posts calling Tinubu criminal, drops charges against Facebook, X
News

FG rearraigns Sowore over posts calling Tinubu criminal, drops charges against Facebook, X

Godson
Last updated: January 19, 2026 3:29 pm
Godson
Published: January 19, 2026
Share
SHARE

The Federal Government has re-arraigned human rights activist, Omoyele Sowore, on a two- count amended charge of alleged cyberstalking against President Bola Tinubu.

The Federal government dragged Sowore before the court over a post he shared on X and Facebook in which he tagged President Tinubu a “criminal”.

At the resumed hearing of the case at the Federal High Court today January 19, counsel for the Department of State Service (DSS), Akinlolu Kehinde, notified Justice Mohammed Umar of the new amended charge, which removes X and Facebook from the list of defendants, leaving Sowore as the sole defendant. Whereas counsel for the government expressed readiness to start the trial, with a witness available in court, counsel to Sowore, Abubakar Marshal, opposed the motion.

Abubakar stated that the information of the witness and his or her statement on oath were not attached to the charge. He cited Section 36 (6) of the Nigerian Constitution, which requires witness deposition and names be front-loaded to the charges.

Countering the position of the defendant’s counsel, Kehinde said it would not be in the interest of a fair hearing to adjourn the matter. He stated that previous adjournments in the case had been at the instance of the defendant.

Kehinde subsequently asked that the trial commence, but Sowore’s lawyer, Marshal, objected, arguing that the trial could not commence because the prosecution had violated provisions of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act by failing to front-load the defendant’s statement and the names of the witnesses. He maintained that the Federal Government was obligated to furnish the defence with the list of witnesses, their names, and summaries of their testimonies.

Kehinde countered that such requirements apply to Magistrates’ courts and that, regarding the names of witnesses who are intelligence officers, the defence could request a stand-down or adjournment to properly cross-examine them.

After listening to both parties, Justice Mohammed Umar adjourned the case to January 22nd for trial.

According to the charge sheet, Sowore is accused of using his verified X handle to post

“This criminal @officialABAT actually went to Brazil to state that there is no more corruption under his regime in Nigeria. What audacity to lie shamelessly!”

FG rearraigns Sowore over posts calling Tinubu criminal, drops charges against Facebook, X

 

The post, made on August 25, 2025, is said to contravene Section 24(2)(b) of the Cybercrimes Prohibition and Prevention Act 2024, which prohibits the use of computer systems to transmit false statements capable of causing a breakdown of law and order. Government prosecutors insisted the comments were intended to stir public unrest and disaffection against the President.

 

Separatist armed group k!lls 14 in Cameroon
NAHCON Not Responsible For Pilgrims’ Suffering, Lagos Amir-ul-Hajj Reveals
I have not disappointed Nigerians – President Buhari
Subsidy: Nigeria no longer father Christmas to neighbouring countries- President Tinubu
Tinubu’s Certificate: Prove Alleged Forgery Beyond Reasonable Doubt, Supreme Court Tells Atiku

Quick Link

  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0

Recent Posts

  • “My 15-years-younger Ghanaian husband used me to get to the US” — Woman seeks advice after claiming husband married her for immigration
  • You are all that matters to me. Thank you for being my protector – Read the leaked letters written by Trump‘s close staff, Natalie to him
  • 26-year-old woman allegedly b£aten to d3ath by her husband’s side chick
  • Nigeria Women’s Beach Volleyball Team qualifies for Los Angeles 2028 Olympics
  • Kindly delete my videos — Precious takes a dig at Jeffrey and Chidinma after split from romantic throuple

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

Categories

  • ES Money
  • U.K News
  • The Escapist
  • Insider
  • Science
  • Technology
  • LifeStyle
  • Marketing

About US

We influence 20 million users and is the number one business and technology news network on the planet.
Quick Link
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index
Top Categories
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index

Subscribe US

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[mc4wp_form]

Top Categories

  • Entertainment

Categories

  • ES Money
  • U.K News
  • The Escapist
  • Insider
  • Science
  • Technology
  • LifeStyle
  • Marketing

About US

We influence 20 million users and is the number one business and technology news network on the planet.
Quick Link
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index
Top Categories
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index

Subscribe US

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[mc4wp_form]
© 2023 Newsunplug | All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?