By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
NewsunplugNewsunplugNewsunplug
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • My Story
Reading: Sierra Leone receives Nigerian, Ghanaian, Senegalese migrants deported from US
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
Font ResizerAa
NewsunplugNewsunplug
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • My Story
Search
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • My Story
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
Newsunplug > Blog > News > Sierra Leone receives Nigerian, Ghanaian, Senegalese migrants deported from US
News

Sierra Leone receives Nigerian, Ghanaian, Senegalese migrants deported from US

Godson
Last updated: May 21, 2026 6:30 am
Godson
Published: May 21, 2026
Share
SHARE

Sierra Leone on Wednesday, May 20, became the latest African country to receive migrants expelled from the United States under President Donald Trump’s immigration crackdown.

A first plane carrying nine west African migrants landed on Wednesday morning at the international airport just outside Freetown, an AFP journalist saw.

“We have received nine deportees this morning from the US,” Foreign Minister Timothy Musa Kabba told AFP, after initially saying 25 migrants would arrive.

The deportees are from Nigeria, Ghana, Guinea and Senegal, according to authorities.

Police, medics and government officials were on hand to receive them at the airport, an AFP journalist reported.

Seven men and two women, heads bowed, were seen boarding a minibus outside the airport under police escort.

“All were “traumatised due to the months in chains during detention in the US,” said Doris Bah, a health ministry official at the scene. Most of them, she told AFP, wanted to return to their home countries.

“Some of the deportees were arrested on the streets and their place of work while another was arrested while playing football in the US,” Bah said.

They will be housed in a hotel and are expected to return to their countries within two weeks at the latest, she added.

The authorities in Freetown have agreed to accept up to 300 people a year expelled by the United States — but only from the member states of the west African economic bloc ECOWAS.

“We are taking in these deported people because they are from west Africa, and some of them hold Sierra Leonean residence permits obtained many years ago,” Foreign Minister Timothy Musa Kabba told AFP by telephone late Tuesday.

They “have the right to stay in the country for 90 days and can then return to their country of origin”, he added.

The United States is providing $1.5 million to support the programme “to cover the humanitarian and operational costs linked to this agreement”, according to a foreign ministry document consulted by AFP.

Freetown has not said whether other concessions were agreed.

Asked about deportations to Sierra Leone, a US State Department spokesperson said on Wednesday that removing migrants from US territory was a “top priority”, without explaining why the west African country had been selected or what incentives were offered.

Sierra Leone is just the latest African country to have taken in people deported from the United States, following Cameroon, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Eswatini, Ghana, Rwanda and South Sudan.

In return, Washington provides financial and logistical support.

Some countries, such as the Democratic Republic of Congo, have taken in migrants from other continents, including Latin America.

Human Rights Watch, urging African nations to reject the arrangements, argued in September that the “opaque deals” were “part of a US policy approach that violated international human rights law.”

 

Expose religious sects sponsoring terrorism – Shari’ah Council tells EFCC
Tinubu congratulates Muslims on Ramadan
71 Enugu Roads For Delivery December – Peter Mbah
2027: Rotimi Amaechi denies plans to run as Atiku’s VP
‘I won’t stay silent on Gaza suffering’ Kamala Harris calls for end to Israel-Hamas war

Quick Link

  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0

Recent Posts

  • Netizens react as Oyo teachers call for three-days fasting and prayers for safe return of abd#cted teachers and pupils
  • Pastor says it took God 200 years to raise someone like Trump who would give the White House a ballroom
  • Desmond Elliot withdraws from Lagos APC House of Assembly primary (video)
  • NURTW chieftain arraigned over alleged k!lling of dispatch rider in Lagos
  • Tragedy as truck crushes two brothers to d3ath in Akure

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

Categories

  • ES Money
  • U.K News
  • The Escapist
  • Insider
  • Science
  • Technology
  • LifeStyle
  • Marketing

About US

We influence 20 million users and is the number one business and technology news network on the planet.
Quick Link
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index
Top Categories
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index

Subscribe US

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[mc4wp_form]

Top Categories

  • Entertainment

Categories

  • ES Money
  • U.K News
  • The Escapist
  • Insider
  • Science
  • Technology
  • LifeStyle
  • Marketing

About US

We influence 20 million users and is the number one business and technology news network on the planet.
Quick Link
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index
Top Categories
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index

Subscribe US

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[mc4wp_form]
© 2023 Newsunplug | All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?