By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
NewsunplugNewsunplugNewsunplug
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • My Story
Reading: Students may pay N80,000 electricity fee in varsities – VCs’ panel
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
Font ResizerAa
NewsunplugNewsunplug
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • My Story
Search
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • My Story
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
Newsunplug > Blog > News > Students may pay N80,000 electricity fee in varsities – VCs’ panel
News

Students may pay N80,000 electricity fee in varsities – VCs’ panel

Godson
Last updated: August 1, 2024 10:41 am
Godson
Published: August 1, 2024
Share
SHARE

The Committee of Vice-Chancellors of Nigerian Universities has said undergraduates in Nigerian universities may be charged N80,000 or more to cover the high electricity tariffs universities are currently being charged with.

In a recent interview with Punch, the Secretary-General, CVCNU, Prof Yakubu Ochefu, said universities can not afford the over N200m they are charged monthly for electricity.

“Before the new tariff, universities were paying around N1bn annually, but now the cost has risen to N4bn per annum. How are they supposed to find such funds? How much is being allocated to universities for their overhead budgets?

“If the FG doesn’t step in to rescue the universities, the costs will be transferred to students as user charges, amounting to N80,000 per student. Alternatively, universities will have to limit their operations to four hours a day.

“For example, UNIBEN is currently running a generator for four hours daily, which costs them N60m a month. This is unsustainable given the need for a functioning library, internet access, and laboratory facilities,” Ochefu said.

He said vice-chancellors had written to the Federal Government and are waiting for the pro-chancellors to follow up with the request.

“The charges presented before us are unrealistic. Universities can’t afford to pay N200m or N300m monthly for electricity. The Federal Government needs to reconsider this decision. We have written to the President, requesting a concessionary rate or a return to the previous rate based on the funding provided by the FG to universities. There has been no response yet. We wrote the letter when the policy was first announced.

“The matter is now in the hands of the pro-chancellors, as it is a critical funding issue. The Vice-Chancellors have done their part,” Ochefu said.

They were charged N61m monthly before the introduction of the Band A system following the hike in electricity tariff.

In April 2024, the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission announced an increase in electricity tariff paid by Band A customers from N68/KWh to N225/KWh, which was a 300 per cent increment.

For instance, Ahmadu Bello University in Zaria, Kaduna State, and the University of Benin lamented receiving N3.6bn electricity bills, averaging N300m monthly under the Band A tariff.

Also, VC, UNIBEN, Prof Lilian Salami, said the university had been disconnected from the national grid because it could not afford to pay about N300m monthly for electricity.

Tinubu seeks court order to inspect INEC materials to defend his election
Tinubu Arrives Lagos From London Ahead Of Sallah
Former Aviation Minister Chidoka Loses Mom
Police headquarters deny IGP Kayode smuggled names from the National Assembly into the Police Academy admission list
#EndSARS protester regains freedom after five years detention

Quick Link

  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0

Recent Posts

  • Pastor who led a ministry amid at ‘curing men from being gay’ arrested while trying to meet 14-year-old boy for s3x
  • Nigerian businessman sues ex-wife over refusal to leave his house after divorce
  • Man.United defender Harry Maguire left ‘shocked and gutted’ after omission from England World Cup squad
  • Trump says he’s willing to talk to Taiwan’s leader, a major departure from diplomatic norms
  • Troops arrest wanted kidnap suspect linked to abduction of retired Colonel in Plateau

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

Categories

  • ES Money
  • U.K News
  • The Escapist
  • Insider
  • Science
  • Technology
  • LifeStyle
  • Marketing

About US

We influence 20 million users and is the number one business and technology news network on the planet.
Quick Link
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index
Top Categories
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index

Subscribe US

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[mc4wp_form]

Top Categories

  • Entertainment

Categories

  • ES Money
  • U.K News
  • The Escapist
  • Insider
  • Science
  • Technology
  • LifeStyle
  • Marketing

About US

We influence 20 million users and is the number one business and technology news network on the planet.
Quick Link
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index
Top Categories
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index

Subscribe US

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[mc4wp_form]
© 2023 Newsunplug | All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?