By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
NewsunplugNewsunplugNewsunplug
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • My Story
Reading: Ukraine calls on FIA to reconsider lifting ban on competitors from Russia, Belarus
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
Font ResizerAa
NewsunplugNewsunplug
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • My Story
Search
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • My Story
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
Newsunplug > Blog > News > Ukraine calls on FIA to reconsider lifting ban on competitors from Russia, Belarus
News

Ukraine calls on FIA to reconsider lifting ban on competitors from Russia, Belarus

Godson
Last updated: August 18, 2026 10:59 pm
Godson
Published: August 18, 2026
Share
SHARE

Ukraine has urged motorsport’s world governing body to reconsider lifting a ban on competitors ​from Russia and Belarus in international events.

The ban on participants from the two countries ‌competing with their own flags and anthems, in place since Russia invaded Ukraine in 2022, was lifted by the International Automobile Federation (FIA) last week.

The BBC reported Ukraine’s Minister of Youth and Sports had written to FIA president Mohammed ​Ben Sulayem requesting the decision be reconsidered.

Ukraine’s Automobile Federation said in a statement the ​FIA move had “come as a complete surprise”.

An FIA spokesperson, confirming the Ukrainian letter, ⁠said on Tuesday the requirements for Russian and Belarusian drivers, teams and officials had been updated ​following a vote by the FIA’s World Motor Sport Council.

“This follows an announcement by the IOC (International Olympic ​Committee) on 7th July and similar updates issued by other international sporting federations,” the spokesperson added.

“The FIA maintains its ban on organising events and competitions in Russia and Belarus. The FIA continues to monitor the situation closely in Ukraine ​and reserves the right to update its position in the future.”

Russia, which once hosted a regular ​round of the Formula One championship in Sochi, has not hosted a grand prix since 2021.

The last Russian driver ‌in ⁠Formula One was Nikita Mazepin, whose contract was terminated by U.S.-owned Haas in 2022 and who has since competed in the Middle East under a neutral flag.

The IOC last month provisionally lifted its suspension of the Russian Olympic Committee, a step seen as bringing Russia closer to reintegration into the ​Olympic movement ahead of ​the Los Angeles Games.

The ⁠FIA, the governing body for Formula One, F2, F3, Formula E and the World Rally Championship as well as other international series, was awarded full ​recognition status by the IOC in 2013.

Boris Rotenberg, president of the Russian ​Automobile Federation (RAF), hailed ⁠an important day for Russian motorsport when the FIA’s decision was announced.

“Sport and culture should be out of politics — they are the ones that unite peoples,” said the oligarch, who remains on the European Union’s ⁠sanctions ​list and is a close associate of Russian President Vladimir ​Putin, in a statement on the RAF website.

“Justice has triumphed. We are grateful to the International Automobile Federation for the constructive dialogue ​and are ready to jointly resolve all pressing issues.”

Atiku Abubakar wins polling unit
I’ll work against Atiku’s presidential ambition in 2027 – Fayose
PDP’s decision to zone 2027 presidency to the South is Wike’s ‘done deal’ for Tinubu’s re-election – Dele Momodu
Five ECWA female members d!e in road accident while traveling to Kaduna for burial
Appeal Court Affirms Mbah As Enugu Governor, Dismisses LP’s Candidate’s Petitions

Quick Link

  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0

Recent Posts

  • Trump says no Iran talks planned, claims Hormuz ‘new US territory’
  • “My doctor has kinda clipped my wings” — Singer, Dolly Parton apologizes for missing Dollywood attraction opening amid ongoing health issues
  • Russia’s Putin hosts Myanmar’s leader at Kremlin
  • Rodri leaves Manchester City for Barcelona
  • Ukraine calls on FIA to reconsider lifting ban on competitors from Russia, Belarus

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

Categories

  • ES Money
  • U.K News
  • The Escapist
  • Insider
  • Science
  • Technology
  • LifeStyle
  • Marketing

About US

We influence 20 million users and is the number one business and technology news network on the planet.
Quick Link
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index
Top Categories
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index

Subscribe US

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[mc4wp_form]

Top Categories

  • Entertainment

Categories

  • ES Money
  • U.K News
  • The Escapist
  • Insider
  • Science
  • Technology
  • LifeStyle
  • Marketing

About US

We influence 20 million users and is the number one business and technology news network on the planet.
Quick Link
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index
Top Categories
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index

Subscribe US

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[mc4wp_form]
© 2023 Newsunplug | All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?