By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
NewsunplugNewsunplugNewsunplug
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • My Story
Reading: “We are not slaves in the military’s hands” Civilian staff of Defence Ministry protest brutalisation by soldiers following attack caught on video
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
Font ResizerAa
NewsunplugNewsunplug
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • My Story
Search
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • My Story
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
Newsunplug > Blog > Metro > “We are not slaves in the military’s hands” Civilian staff of Defence Ministry protest brutalisation by soldiers following attack caught on video
Metro

“We are not slaves in the military’s hands” Civilian staff of Defence Ministry protest brutalisation by soldiers following attack caught on video

Godson
Last updated: June 12, 2024 4:31 am
Godson
Published: June 12, 2024
Share
SHARE

The civilian staff of the Ministry of Defence, under the umbrella of the Joint Executive Council, has protested at the ministry’s headquarters in Abuja over the alleged brutalisation of their members by the military.

The Joint Executive Council is made up of all affiliate unions of civilian staff working at the Ministry of Defence.

The protesting staff held up placards that read: “We are not slaves in the military’s hands”.

"We are not slaves in the military?s hands" Civilian staff of Defence Ministry protest brutalisation by soldiers following attack caught on video

Speaking with journalists during the protest on Tuesday, June 11, Didam Joel, president of the council, said the civilian staff of the ministry has faced brutalisation several times by the military officers.

He said a civilian staff member was recently detained for a month by military authorities and another was killed two months ago.

“It’s a sad day for us. You will see the videos trending of our civilian assistant director being brutalised by some soldiers at the command secondary school in Lagos,” he said.

“They have killed somebody already — one of our members, comrade Richard, two months ago. We have asked the management to react, but up till today, we have not seen any action.

“Last month, one of our civilian staff was locked in the guardroom for one month. We had to call the permanent secretary before he was released.

"We are not slaves in the military?s hands" Civilian staff of Defence Ministry protest brutalisation by soldiers following attack caught on video

“Yesterday, this incident happened again. It means we are endangered species in the Ministry of Defence and that is why we have agreed that we should all withdraw our services in all the ministry of defense nationwide.”

Joel said the civilian staff would continue to protest until the minister of defence addresses them and they present their demands to him.

“Richard has died and so many of us have been brutalised. We must put a stop to this brutality and killing of civilian staff. We cannot take it again,” he said.

"We are not slaves in the military?s hands" Civilian staff of Defence Ministry protest brutalisation by soldiers following attack caught on video

One of the unionists in the Association of Senior Civil Servants of Nigeria (ASCSN) in the army told Channels TV that one of the civilians brutalised on Monday, June 10, by a private soldier headed by one Lt Akubor, was Ambrose Akhigbe. The victim is said to be currently in the hospital.

He also mentioned that a laboratory scientist in the Naval Reference Hospital, at Navy Town, Ojo, Lagos, was “brutally killed” barely two months

He said: “We were at the heat of it, the person controlling the current crop of soldiers in all command schools in Lagos including some civilian PSOs, are backing these shameful acts of killing MOD staff at duty posts.

“We therefore demand the complete overhaul of the command schools by returning the schools to their original structure of standard school system, to be headed by professional education officers in the Ministry of Defence and they can only provide security if they wish.

“The management of MOD should be aware that we are not backing down on this as we don’t know who is next.”

Swipe to watch a video of the assault and protests.

 

View this post on Instagram

 

A post shared by Lindaikejiblog (@lindaikejiblogofficial)

 

Shock as nursing mother allegedly m8rders her two children in Enugu
Madam shares video of housemaid dancing in her room and it sparks debate on how appropriate it is to put hidden camera in domestic staff’s rooms
Court remands man in Ondo for threatening to kill his mother over her refusal to cook for him
Panic As Bandits Abduct Catholic Priest In Kaduna
NSCDC foils robbery in Osun, recover stolen vehicle

Quick Link

  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0

Recent Posts

  • Pastor who led a ministry amid at ‘curing men from being gay’ arrested while trying to meet 14-year-old boy for s3x
  • Nigerian businessman sues ex-wife over refusal to leave his house after divorce
  • Man.United defender Harry Maguire left ‘shocked and gutted’ after omission from England World Cup squad
  • Trump says he’s willing to talk to Taiwan’s leader, a major departure from diplomatic norms
  • Troops arrest wanted kidnap suspect linked to abduction of retired Colonel in Plateau

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

Categories

  • ES Money
  • U.K News
  • The Escapist
  • Insider
  • Science
  • Technology
  • LifeStyle
  • Marketing

About US

We influence 20 million users and is the number one business and technology news network on the planet.
Quick Link
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index
Top Categories
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index

Subscribe US

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[mc4wp_form]

Top Categories

  • Entertainment

Categories

  • ES Money
  • U.K News
  • The Escapist
  • Insider
  • Science
  • Technology
  • LifeStyle
  • Marketing

About US

We influence 20 million users and is the number one business and technology news network on the planet.
Quick Link
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index
Top Categories
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index

Subscribe US

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[mc4wp_form]
© 2023 Newsunplug | All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?