By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
NewsunplugNewsunplugNewsunplug
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Journal
Reading: Benfica Cite ‘defamation Campaign’ In Prestianni Case
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
Font ResizerAa
NewsunplugNewsunplug
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Journal
Search
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Journal
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
Newsunplug > Blog > Sports > Benfica Cite ‘defamation Campaign’ In Prestianni Case
Sports

Benfica Cite ‘defamation Campaign’ In Prestianni Case

sulaimon opeyemi305
Last updated: February 18, 2026 5:53 pm
sulaimon opeyemi305
Published: February 18, 2026
Share
SHARE

Benfica say there is a “defamation campaign” against Gianluca Prestianni after UEFA opened an investigation into allegations he racially abused Vinicius Jr.

Contents
Benfica back playerCriticism and global reaction

The incident occurred during Tuesday’s Champions League tie against Real Madrid, which was halted for 10 minutes in the second half

Vinicius reported alleged abuse to referee Francois Letexier, prompting activation of UEFA’s anti-racism protocol as Madrid’s players temporarily left the field.

Vinicius later wrote on Instagram: “Racists are, above all, cowards.”

Prestianni has denied directing racist language at the Brazilian. If found guilty, he could face a minimum 10-match suspension in European competition.

Benfica back player

In a statement posted on their official X account, Benfica defended the 20-year-old and questioned the basis of the accusation.

“Given the distance, the Real Madrid players could not have heard what they claim to have heard,” the club said, alongside video footage of the incident.

Benfica added they “fully support” Prestianni’s version of events and stated: “[Prestianni’s] conduct in the service of the club has always been guided by respect for opponents, institutions and the principles that define Benfica’s identity.”

“The club regrets the defamation campaign of which the player has been a victim.”

Manager Jose Mourinho said after the match that he had been told different accounts by both players. He also referenced club legend Eusebio as a symbol of Benfica’s values.

Criticism and global reaction

Benfica’s stance has drawn criticism. Anti-discrimination charity Kick It Out said the club and manager had “failed” in their response.

Chair Sanjay Bhandari told BBC Sport: “It’s a natural inclination to want to believe your player, but the reality is they didn’t hear it.

“There’s only two people who are in that conversation and two people who could have heard what was said.”

FIFA president Gianni Infantino said he was “shocked and saddened” and praised the referee for applying the protocol.

“There is absolutely no room for racism in our sport and in society,” he added.

Ballon D’or 2025: Mbappe Reacts As Dembele Beats Yamal To Win The Award
#EPL: This season hasn’t been to Chelsea’s standards – Kante confirms decision on future
EPL: He’s in hospital – Potter gives update on Azpilicueta after Chelsea’s defeat to Southampton
EPL: 8 Chelsea Players To Miss Liverpool Clash – Maresca
#EPL: De Bruyne in shock exit from Man City, next destination revealed

Quick Link

  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index
TAGGED:Benfica
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0

Recent Posts

  • USA’s Shiffrin Wins Slalom Gold In Emphatic Style
  • Championship: Onyeka Reacts To Coventry City Debut
  • ‘Shameful’ – Benfica Legend Accuses Prestianni As Uefa Probes Lisbon Racism Row
  • Benfica Cite ‘defamation Campaign’ In Prestianni Case
  • Bukayo Saka Becomes Arsenal’s Highest-paid Player With New Five-year Deal

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

Categories

  • ES Money
  • U.K News
  • The Escapist
  • Insider
  • Science
  • Technology
  • LifeStyle
  • Marketing

About US

We influence 20 million users and is the number one business and technology news network on the planet.
Quick Link
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index
Top Categories
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index

Subscribe US

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[mc4wp_form]

Top Categories

  • Entertainment

Categories

  • ES Money
  • U.K News
  • The Escapist
  • Insider
  • Science
  • Technology
  • LifeStyle
  • Marketing

About US

We influence 20 million users and is the number one business and technology news network on the planet.
Quick Link
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index
Top Categories
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index

Subscribe US

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[mc4wp_form]
© 2023 Newsunplug | All Rights Reserved.
adbanner
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?