By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
NewsunplugNewsunplugNewsunplug
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • My Story
Reading: El-Rufai insists old notes remain legal tender in Kaduna
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
Font ResizerAa
NewsunplugNewsunplug
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • My Story
Search
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • My Story
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
Newsunplug > Blog > News > El-Rufai insists old notes remain legal tender in Kaduna
News

El-Rufai insists old notes remain legal tender in Kaduna

Godson
Last updated: February 17, 2023 3:37 am
Godson
Published: February 17, 2023
Share
SHARE

Governor Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State has asked Kaduna residents to disregard President Muhammadu Buhari’s statement that N500 and N1000 notes are no longer legal tenders.

El-Rufai insisted that the old notes remain legal tender in Kaduna state and businesses that refuse to accept them will be sealed.

In his national broadcast early Thursday February 16, Buhari had declared that old N500 and N1000 were no longer valid. He, however, stated that 200 Naira notes can still be used until April 10.

He had asked Nigerians to take them to the Central Bank and designated places.

But in his statewide address on Thursday night, El-Rufai said the notes remain legal tender until Supreme Court of Nigeria decides otherwise.

El-Rufai said: ?For the avoidance of doubt, all the old and new notes shall remain in use as legal tender in Kaduna State until the Supreme Court of Nigeria decides otherwise.

?I therefore appeal to all residents of Kaduna State to continue to use the old and new notes side by side without any fear. The Kaduna State Government and its agencies shall seal any facility that refuses to accept the old notes as legal tender and prosecute the owners.

?If need be, we shall take further consequential actions according to the law. The address by the President earlier this morning limiting the legal tender status of old notes to only N200 amounts to total disregard and disobedience of the ruling of February 8th which was extended further yesterday by the Supreme Court.

?The misguided action of the Attorney-General to mislead the President into engaging in this public violation of the order of the highest court of the land shows how desperate the policy architects are to cause national chaos, by showing open contempt for the judiciary.

?The decision to recognise only N200 as legal tender till April that the President announced this morning was offered to the state governments as part of proposals for an out-of-court settlement three days ago.

?The Federal Government asserted that this was offered because all the ?old? N1,000 and N500 notes had been destroyed. We rejected the offer and proved to the officials that not a single higher denomination note had been destroyed.

?We also believe that circulating N200 only to be inadequate in alleviating the suffering that we see every day. We insisted that all the components of the Supreme Court order should be complied with.”

Three Days Of Rains To Pound Ondo, Ekiti, Osun, Oyo, Ogun, 10 Other States
Trump slams MAGA allies Tucker Carlson, Megyn Kelly, Candace Owens
Democracy Has Failed Us All – I Can Explain
IGP orders investigation into viral video of retired officer claiming he was given N2m benefit after 35 years of service
Tinubu reassigns portfolios to Ministers-designate

Quick Link

  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0
Leave a Comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent Posts

  • ‘I’ve A Crush On Adesua Etomi’ – Isbae U Reveals, Sends Message To Husband Banky W
  • “Lack Of Home Training” – Israel Dmw Reacts To Video Of Lady Addressing Businessman, Tony Elumelu By His First Name
  • “I Never Sponsored My Wedding. Respect My Ex-husband” – Uche Ogbodo Roars At Fan Following Her Interview Calling Women Providers In Marriage
  • Tottenham Agree £75m Deal For Man City Winger Savinho
  • “Women Are More Of Providers” – Uche Ogbodo Says As She Opens Up On Love And Being Called Her Husband’s Mother Over Their Age Difference (Video)

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

Categories

  • ES Money
  • U.K News
  • The Escapist
  • Insider
  • Science
  • Technology
  • LifeStyle
  • Marketing

About US

We influence 20 million users and is the number one business and technology news network on the planet.
Quick Link
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index
Top Categories
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index

Subscribe US

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[mc4wp_form]

Top Categories

  • Entertainment

Categories

  • ES Money
  • U.K News
  • The Escapist
  • Insider
  • Science
  • Technology
  • LifeStyle
  • Marketing

About US

We influence 20 million users and is the number one business and technology news network on the planet.
Quick Link
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index
Top Categories
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index

Subscribe US

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[mc4wp_form]
© 2023 Newsunplug | All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?