By using this site, you agree to the Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Accept
NewsunplugNewsunplugNewsunplug
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Journal
Reading: Real Madrid submit evidence to UEFA in Vinicius racism probe
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
Font ResizerAa
NewsunplugNewsunplug
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Journal
Search
  • Home
  • News
  • Politics
  • Metro
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Lifestyle
  • Journal
Have an existing account? Sign In
Follow US
Newsunplug > Blog > Sports > Real Madrid submit evidence to UEFA in Vinicius racism probe
Sports

Real Madrid submit evidence to UEFA in Vinicius racism probe

Godson
Last updated: February 20, 2026 6:21 am
Godson
Published: February 20, 2026
Share
SHARE

Real Madrid CF say they have supplied “all available evidence” to UEFA as the governing body investigates allegations of racism made by forward Vinícius Júnior.

The Brazil international said he reported racial abuse by a Benfica player to referee Francois Letexier during Tuesday’s Champions League knockout round play-off tie in Lisbon. Real Madrid identified the player in question as Benfica winger Gianluca Prestianni.

UEFA confirmed on Wednesday, February 19, that it had opened a disciplinary investigation into events at the match. Real Madrid subsequently issued a statement outlining their cooperation.

“Real Madrid CF announces that it has today provided UEFA with all available evidence regarding the incidents that occurred [on Tuesday, Feb. 17, during the Champions League match that our team played in Lisbon against SL Benfica,” the statement read.

“Our club has actively co-operated with the investigation opened by UEFA following the unacceptable episodes of racism experienced during that match.

“Real Madrid is grateful for the unanimous support and affection that our player Vinicius Jr. has received from all sectors of the global football community. Real Madrid will continue working, in collaboration with all institutions, to eradicate racism, violence and hatred in sport and in society.”

The match was temporarily paused in line with UEFA protocols after Vinícius alleged he had been abused following his goal celebration. Play was halted for approximately 10 minutes before resuming, with the forward completing the full game.

After the match, Vinícius wrote on his Instagram story in Portuguese: “Racists are, above all, cowards. They need to put their shirts in their mouths to demonstrate how weak they are.

“But they have protection from others who, theoretically, have the obligation to punish. Nothing that happened today is new in my life and my family’s. I received a yellow card for celebrating a goal. Still not understanding why. On the other side, just a poorly executed protocol that served no purpose.”

Prestianni denied making any racist comment in a post on Instagram, while SL Benfica criticised what it described as a “smear campaign” against their player.

Benfica head coach Jose Mourinho has also faced criticism from anti-discrimination charity Kick It Out, which labelled his post-match remarks as “gaslighting”.

Mourinho told Amazon Prime: “I told [Vinicius], when you score a goal like that you just celebrate and walk back. They [Vinicius and Prestianni] told me different things. But I don’t believe in one or another. I want to be an independent.”

He added that “something happens, always” in matches where Vinícius plays. UEFA’s investigation into the incident remains ongoing.

 

Europa League: Nketiah’s injury big challenge for him – Arteta
Transfer: Arsenal table world-record bid for Man United striker, Russo
I won’t tell anyone when I leave Portugal national team – Ronaldo
What I told Zidane that made him headbutt me during 2006 World Cup final – Materazzi
Afcon: CAF Bans, Fines Cameroon’s Samuel Eto’o

Quick Link

  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index
Share This Article
Facebook Email Print
What do you think?
Love0
Sad0
Happy0
Sleepy0
Angry0
Dead0
Wink0

Recent Posts

  • Nigerian Comedian, Akpororo Ecstatic After Burna Boy Gifted Him $15000 (Video)
  • President Trump announces $10B donation to Board of Peace
  • Bukayo Saka signs new five-year contract to become Arsenal’s top earner
  • Pregnant bar owner arrested in Plateau for allegedly trafficking three girls to Ghana
  • Real Madrid submit evidence to UEFA in Vinicius racism probe

Recent Comments

No comments to show.

Categories

  • ES Money
  • U.K News
  • The Escapist
  • Insider
  • Science
  • Technology
  • LifeStyle
  • Marketing

About US

We influence 20 million users and is the number one business and technology news network on the planet.
Quick Link
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index
Top Categories
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index

Subscribe US

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[mc4wp_form]

Top Categories

  • Entertainment

Categories

  • ES Money
  • U.K News
  • The Escapist
  • Insider
  • Science
  • Technology
  • LifeStyle
  • Marketing

About US

We influence 20 million users and is the number one business and technology news network on the planet.
Quick Link
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index
Top Categories
  • My Bookmark
  • Interests
  • Contact Us
  • Blog Index

Subscribe US

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

[mc4wp_form]
© 2023 Newsunplug | All Rights Reserved.
adbanner
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?